Ambresbury Banks, Waltham Abbey, Epping CM16 5BB
Ambresbury Banks are the remains of an Iron Age hillfort in Epping Forest which was first excavated in 1881 by Pitt-Rivers. According to Peter Ellis this may be part of a line of hillforts dividing territories of the Trinovantes and Catuvellauni.
The fort consists of a 2 metre high bank and ditch enclosing an area of 4.5 hectares. The original entrance is approached by a trapezoidal causeway on the N.W. of the enclosure. The ends of the bank at the entrance were revetted with coursed puddingstone blocks.
There are five other openings, but these appear to be appear to be later additions.