Charterhouse Square, Barbican, London EC1M 6AN
This group of historic buildings to the north of Charterhouse Square in part dates back to the 14th century.
The Charterhouse was founded in 1371 as a Carthusian priory, which was dissolved in 1537. Parts of the original buildings remain, although the site was rebuilt as a large courtyard shortly after 1545.
Pevsner describes the building as conveying “a vivid impression of the type of large rambling 16th century mansion that once existed all round London”.