St John’s Gate, 26 St John’s Ln, London EC1M 4BU
St John’s Gate was built in in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory, the English headquarters of the Knights of the Order of St John.
The Clerkenwell Priory was established during the 1140s as the as the English headquarters of the Order. The order was dissolved under HenryVIII, but briefly re-established under Queen Mary, only to be dissolved again under Queen Elizabeth.
A modern stone plaque on the gatehouse reads: “St John’s Gate. This building was the main entrance to the Grand Priory of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. The original gatehouse was erected about the year 1148 & was burnt down by Wat Tyler in 1381. It was restored by Prior John Redington & was finally rebuilt in its present form by Prior Thomas Docwra in 1504. The Grand Priory buildings were appropriated by the crown in 1559. The order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem resumed possession of this gatehouse in 1873.”