Winchester Palace, Pickfords Wharf, London SE1 9DN
Winchester Palace was the London townhouse of the Bishops of Winchester. The Bishop of Winchester was a powerful lord who traditionally held the position of Royal Treasurer.
The first Winchester Palace was built in the 12th century and the Great Hall was constructed c. 1136. The Hall was enlarged and the surviving rose window built in the later part of the 14th century. It was likely that this was carried out under Bishop William of Wykeham (reign: 1367–1398). Beneath the Hall was a vaulted cellar which connected to a wharf on the Thames.
The palace was arranged around two courtyards and the buildings included a butchers and a brewery. The palace even had its own prison and was associated with the Liberty of the Clink which was outside the jurisdiction of the City of London.